Okay, so I go upstairs and walk into the bathroom and to my surprise I find a tampon on the floor. Luckily it was a new one that one of the boys pulled out to take a gander at. Well, thought I, enough is enough. It is time that these kids know what a tampons does so I don't find them everywhere and so they leave the used ones in the can. So, what followed was a conversation about bleeding and where the tampon goes.
Mom: "So, son, this is for Mommies, and girls when they turn 12. It goes in the same whole as where the baby comes out."
Son: awe, and slight smile, says: "Where does the baby come out?"
Mom: "In a whole between my legs"
Son: "Oh, like a bird, plop..." motioning how a bird lays and egg...happy with himself for understanding.
Mom: "Exactly"
And that was that, my five year old now knows or has an idea of what a menstrual cycle is. A few seconds later 8yo daughter walks in, we start the conversation again and she only says "ewww" to the blood. So, how's that for bold, awkward, and fantastic? I am hoping that the need for the boys to sneak a peek at the tampons has disappeared knowing that it's just another tool and there is no mystery behind it.
4 comments:
HA HA HA!! This seriously cracks me up. You are such a cute mom!! I'm dying!! I have no idea how I will handle those things later when I have kids. WOW!
I was tired of finding them out of there places, so I had to do something! I am really hoping that taking away the mystery is the key.
You are a brave mom! I think you handled it perfectly and I'm proud of you!
Aloha Sunshine,
I have a boy-girl-boy in my clann and the boys were complacent, *oh, ok , it's a girl thing..and off they went..*
My girl was like" OMGosh mum, must you be so explicit and had a girlie fit, then 5 minutes later asked me to get her some for when her period arrives.. (she was 11 at the time.)
it's a universal kid thing to be curious..your answers were perfect :)
peace KnD.
Post a Comment