It is coming that time of year when ones crop is due for harvest. Mine is here and in full swing. This year, though, I did something just a little different. Hubby works out of town, I didn't want to do the garden all by myself again, and I was going to be in Wyoming for two weeks (originally more) during the summer and didn't know what to do about the garden, so I asked my friend if she wanted in on the garden this year. It really worked out for me because she was moving into a new house and didn't have the time to plant one of her own.
The garden is here at my house and we have split the responsibilities. It has been heaven. She watered while I was gone, she comes over and weeds, and..the best part, I don't have to bottle 92 pints of green beans all by myself. Loving it, really loving it.
So, we have already done at least 35 jars of beans. We have two boot sized shoe boxes (so I guess that would be boot boxes) full of tomatoes and corn coming out our ears *snort*. Loving it.
We (my friend and her family, and me and my family) are going camping this weekend. Except we are doing the cheaters version of camping. We are going to the cabin where we have full amenities, and we will be bottling, snapping, clipping and husking while we are out there. Should be fun. *shrug* I mean, how much four wheeling can one do? I have seen this place a millions times and so far, the scenery hasn't changed much. What better way to spend your vaca, right? I know you should relax, not work, take a break, but with lives like hers and mine you have to use every spare min you have.
As we were picking our third round of green beans I thought about the blessings of tithing. (at least I think it is tithing) If you pay a full tithe not only are you blessed with, what us Mormons call fire insurance, but your crops are blessed too. Your land is blessed to produce good fruit, and that it has.
It has been difficult at times, what with the weeds that have grown as high as the corn, but as the economy is heading south I very more secure in what we have been able to grow. I love garden sharing. It's fab!! Totally FAB!
2 comments:
Wow! I'm so impressed. I LOVE GREEN BEANS from a garden!! :o)
I'm so not winning the "thou shalt not covet" war over your garden story. Before we moved to Utah for med school I had a whopper crop of tomatoes of every size, color and flavor (all from this amazing organic nursery), and the snap peas and the apple trees and OH Heaven...the raspberry patch! Don't get me started.
Here: nothing to eat in my yard. But tonight I did climb up on the roof of my garage and pick some itty bitty pears that are growing on the tree over the fence...they hang into my yard and drop all over my roof and grass and no one in that house ever sets foot in the yard so I don't feel too bad. I might be able to salvage about 1.3 nibbles per minuscule pear...just enough to go in a smoothie or something.
okay, better go repent and start checking my lust levels. enjoy your campout and the company. Sounds fun!
♥
Post a Comment