Monday, September 20, 2010

Midwifery

As many of you know I have had all 4 of my babies at home. My journey with midwifery started 10 years ago. My best friend was pregnant with her first baby and she decided she was going use a midwife to bring this child into the world. I thought it was awesome and I kind of rolled the idea around in my own head. At the time I wasn't sure that I could handle having a kid at home, but through many wonderful circumstances it ended up that my first was born at home with the help of a midwife. After that my 3 other kids were born at home.

Each time I was pregnant I thought about becoming a midwife. It scares me to even think about it. It really truly does. You are helping a child come into this wonderful, scary world. I never felt like the timing was right, and I kind of just chalked it up to one of those things that interests me but never could happen, but then something happened....

During my pregnancy with my 4th child I found a wonderful midwife close to where I live. I chose her because she works with 2 other midwives. She has a midwife for the mom, a midwife for the baby, and a midwife for the midwife. I loved this concept. Also something I really loved was after I met with her she told me to go home and pray about them being my midwife, AND they would pray about having me as a patient. Another score! I love that they want to pray about it. Of course include the Lord in such a wonderful experience. As I was leaving one of my appointments with her/them I started thinking (again) about becoming a midwife. I thought how awesome it would be to work with them and could actually see myself doing it. It gave me a little butterfly in my stomach.

After I had my little tyke my midwife came over to check on me and the baby. We started chatting about this and that and then she asked me if I had ever thought about becoming a midwife. "Sure," I said with excitement, but then I confessed that it scared the crap out of me because it was such a huge responsibility. She agreed with me profusely, and then admitted that after one of our appointments she turned to her daughter (midwife that she works with) and said, "Can't you see her working with us?" Both of them agreed and then told me this at this appointment. I got so excited. I wanted to start right away, but of course my midwife knows what it is to raise little babies. She told me to spend time with my little guy and enjoy it. A couple of weeks ago I saw her and she asked me if I wanted to come to a birth with her in Nov. A birth? Already? Yes! Yes, I do!

A couple of days ago my husband and I were watching Netflix. Lately I have really enjoyed the Documentaries and I found one called "The Journey of Birth". Mostly it was hoorah for midwives, but it was so intriguing. It showed a birth, the whole thing vagina and all, and all I could do was cry.

One woman described what it was to have a natural (no interventions) birth, or to her a home birth. What she said rang true for me. I had a friend ask me why I have my babies at home and all I could say was because... but now I know why.

Actually, there isn't just one reason. The lady (sorry can't remember her name) on the show described what happens to a woman during labor. She reaches a point where she finds herself between a rock and a hard spot, I call this quitting time. It is the time in which I say to everyone around me "That's it I quit! I'm done! Everyone go home I don't want to have this baby anymore." Once you realize there is no backwards step to take you push through. It will be, and is the hardest thing you/I have every done or will do, but the reward, the sense of accomplishment... it's more than accomplishment it's relief, power, joy, release is so empowering I can't even describe it to you. That is why I do it. That is why I have my babies at home. Not to mention it is incredibly helpful on the pocket book.

Next month I start meeting with the two other midwives and the mothers to be. I'm nervous. I'm wondering what will happen with my kids. Who will watch them, will it work out, will my husband support me, and then my stomach does the flip flops.

A part of me wonders if this will curb some of my desire, need to have another child. Who knows. We'll see.

7 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

What an incredible opportunity for you! I'm excited to see where this takes you!
I only wish that I had been able to experience vaginal birth. I used to feel really badly about it, like I wasn't a whole and complete woman because I've never had a vaginal birth--all mine have been delivered c-section for 3 different reasons.
I don't feel badly anymore, but I do appreciate the fact that you value it so highly! I think you're one amazing gal!

Eve said...

This is awesome. You are woman. You are a healer and your ability to intuit the human bodies needs and feelings makes you soooo perfect for this work. I love it!

Lisa said...

Do you know, when I think of having my children, the most important thing that stands out is how your mother walked me through it. She was our birthing class teacher, and though it was many years ago, and I've done it several times since, she was such a calming influence on me and made me feel so empowered, that it carried through for my other births. I can absolutely see you coming by it naturally, and you will impact lives forever. I wish you many blessings in doing so.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Good for you!
--Tiffany

cc said...

Wow, the parallel is striking. I just had my fourth as well and it seems to have been a similar catalyst in my decision to pursue a career in midwifery. Something just clicked, and I promised myself that I would be in practice by the time this little guy is in school.

And yes, part of me wonders if it will help me to be at peace with the end of my child bearing. To continue to be involved in the process, even through others would be lovely. I loved giving birth, every single time. If I weren't such an impatient mother, I'd probably go on to have babies until I no longer could ;)

I hope your experience is wonderful. What a great opportunity!

Corktree

Sunshine said...

Corktree, thanks for stopping by! That's awesome and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Blue said...

i used midwives, but my babies were born in the hospital where they practiced (at the time they had a midwifery practice which i thought was terrific!).

in fact, my daughter was their first waterbaby, as well as the 1st waterbirth at the university of chicago, and the Chicago Sun Times did a front-page story on waterbirth about it.

I loved my midwives. there were three women so i got to know all of them during my pregnancy, and felt happy that for sure one of them would attend my birth. as it turned out, because of the whole water birth thing, the two who were in town both came.

i had a friend with me, in addition to my husband. she served as a kind of "Doula" for me...dedicated to helping in whatever way i needed. she took all the photos (so my DH is in all of them), played only the songs I liked on the CD player. Helped set up and then take down my birthing pool (which I'd rented for the occasion). She was terrific. I didn't have so much as a heplock during my birth. it was kind of like a home birth, but just in a hospital (in my jacuzzi-sized birthing pool). no needles (except for my stitches afterward) and no drugs. just me, the pain, the music and my husband and dear friend and midwives. it was the most profound experience of my life to that point.

I have another friend who has become an official doula in the past few years. she loves it all. i think it's cool that you've found something you love, and wish you all the best. you have a chance to contribute to one of the holiest experiences a woman will ever go through. i'm grateful for the support that helped me in my hours of pain (11 hours, to be exact) when i had no way out but through it. you'll bless many lives! ♥