Today is or was like any other day. Wake up, clean the house, talk on phone, exercise, get ready at about 2:00 in the afternoon, get dinner started for dinner group, go to the grocery store, and come home and clean some more.
I hoped in the car at about 5:30, delivery time for dinner group, dropped off the first dinner. Chit chatted for a bit with my friend and then headed to drop the other dinner off. We chatted for a bit about crappy news, which now I can't even remember what it was, and then my friend M asked if I wanted to hear more crappy news. I said sure, thinking it was going to be some type of gossip or random fact about someone in the ward. Well, what she said next was horrible. He husband lost his job today. How crappy!
She cried, I got teary because that sucks, and then she said she was mad at God. She just got called into the RS Presidency, they are opening their home to foster kids, and her husband looses his job! I wanted to yell with her!
Then my brain went into overdrive. She is amazing with money and they have figured out that they have enough to live for a year without him working. That is a lot more than most people have. Still, doesn't put your fears at ease. Then I got thinking about me and my house. I am complaining because the sink is breaking in the bathroom, I have horrible carpet in my living room and my kitchen is like 30 years old. I was hoping to use some of the money we get back from taxes on some of those items. Now, after my friends husband lost his job, I worry. I would rather have shelter over my head, food on my table and gas in my car as opposed to a new kitchen, or bathroom, or floor. Guess the taxes will be used for something else.
When I finally got home at 7:30 we sat at the table and I swear I ate enough food for my friend and me, and then still felt nervous and ate some more. This is crazy!!!! Crazy!
The other day I was watching the news. It was showing some place in UT where a lot of businesses have closed and I just kept thinking, there sits and perfectly good building. Shelter for someone on the street, and its vacant. Only the mice and cock roaches live there. How sad, how sad that all of these homes that are being taken away (some for good reason) others because a perfectly good, honest family looses their income. I just about cried.
Why?
I have no answer. This one hits WAY to close to home.
4 comments:
That is just awful news! This economy sucks, doesn't it? Makes you really value what you have and need.
What is dinner group? I've never heard of it.
Dinner group is the best thing ever!! I mean ever!!! You pick a couple of families the same size or close to the same size as yours. You pick a day of the week that works best for you to cook and then you make a menu. Today I made BBQ beef sandwiches and coleslaw. I made enough for my family and the two other families. I take their portion to their house Monday at 530 pm. Tuesday and Wednesday the other to families cook and bring dinner to me.
It's better than sliced bread! So, for two days out of the week I don't have to cook, and same for the other families. Actually it is probably like 5 days I don't have to cook because we have leftovers.
It seems like it would cost you more in groceries, but i am telling you it is cheaper because you are buying a lot of one item rather than 7 different items for your menu that week. You get it? IT's great!
I think dinner group sounds so fun!!
And I tell you what... going from two incomes to one for six months was really tough on us. It's made us save a lot more, especially now that I have a job again.
It is scary. It just is. I totally understand.
Well, Ben Bernanke said that the recession will end this year, and the stock market climbed last week--so there's hope! I think companies are using the recession as an excuse to lay people off in order to save some money. It will get better. Your friend's husband will have a job within the next year. My own bosses tried to lower my pay to save some money last week because of the recession scare. I was so ticked! I just told them to go ahead--I'd quit! They upped my pay. (back to the original number) They're playing on people's fears and using the recession as an excuse to make more money. I don't like it at all. The recession will end. People listen to Ben Bernanke--and when he says it's gonna end--people will start investing again. And then everything will even out. Truly, he is the most powerful man in the world. I sigh a little whenever I drive past the Federal Reserve. Such power!!
Post a Comment