This is one of my favorites that I wrote over at FMH
I want to share with you some of the lyrics from the allegorical oratorio The Garden. It is an allegory of the Garden of Gethsemane and speaks of the different characters that are in the garden before the Savior enters.
There is a seedling who is confused as to why she seems to be the only seed that can’t grow and wonders if she ever will. A ram, lost and caught in a thicket who promises that next time, oh yes, next time he will stay by the Shepard’s side. There is a barren Olive Tree who struggles with the inability to bare the fruit that she was made to bare, and wonders why she is a shade tree rather than a fruitful Olive Tree. And, finally, the millstone who feels nothing. He feels no sadness, no happiness, no emotion is left inside of him and why should he care? He wasn’t created as something great like a diamond or a gemstone. He is a simple millstone that can only grind things, over and over and over again.
There is the gardener, who loves and prunes and nurtures the garden. He understands their sadness and tells them of the wonderful things to come. He gives them hope of becoming a beautiful garden blooming sweetly on the hill. And, of course the snake and the landlord, working together to maintain the despair and discouragement of the garden. They try to undue everything the gardener has done by telling them that there is no hope and they aren’t worth saving. We reach a point, just before the Savior comes in, where the gardener tells of a man with many names…
There is one to this garden comes
Like a most unusual rain
Drink it in and never thirst again,
Living water is His name.
There is One who comes to find each one
Who has lost his way again.
He will lead the way back to the fold:
The Good Shepard is His name.
There is one who, when your cryings done,
Gives the gifts you’ve never known.
He’ll give fruit because he is the Vine
And Life for He’s the Living Stone.
He is known by, oh, so many names,
and will be forever more.
Hope comes from the one with many names
And he’s not forgotten yours….
No he’s not forgotten yours.
Throughout my life I have journeyed down many different roads. I have been the seedling wanting ever so much, to be grown, to be something more than what I am. I have been the ram who has wandered away from the Shepard’s side and felt lost, stuck, and ever so alone. I have especially felt the pain of the millstone. I have wondered many times about my own beauty. I have wondered about my own personal worth and, at times felt extremely ordinary. Their sadness and despair resonates deep in my heart. Why am I in this place? Why am I alone? Why am I of no value to others? Why am I lost?…And yet, when my cryings done I have felt The Good Shepard and I have felt the sweet gifts that he gives. I have felt my own renewal of hope, and my own sense of purpose. I pray, that others out there, who have felt as I have felt, will find their hope. He’ll give fruit because he is the vine, and life for He’s the Living Stone.
I would like to thank all those at FMH for having me as a guest for these two weeks. I would also like to thank all of those that have read and commented on my posts, and now, ah yes, and now I happily return to commenter.
No comments:
Post a Comment