So, this past month I have acquired an energy not my own. I love harvest time. I love the corn, beans, tomatoes, squash, and other foods you get from your hard labors through the summer. I have been bottling and much to my surprise I have kept on going. So far, the only thing that has gone to semi waste are the cherry tomatoes. Did you know how many tomatoes come from one bush? One bush! Like, a million, and what can you do with cherry tomatoes other than eat them in a salad?
So the bottling fool I have been. I bottled green beans, tomato juice, tomatoes, chicken, pears, and I froze some corn. It has been lovely to sit back and look at all that i have accomplished. Last year I was kind of a fart and fizzled out and lost a lot of produce, but this year I discovered if I do little bits at a time I can do it (I have a tendency to feel overwhelmed) so it's been nice.
I think it also helps that my husband has lent a huge hand of support. He has been right there beside me getting the fruits and veggies ready and helping me cut the pears. Man! What a help that is. For some strange reason I felt it was MY whole responsibility as a woman to do all of it. He's such a great man!
So, hopefully your harvest has been as pleasant... oh and I made a wonderful pasta, onion, green pepper tomato dish from my garden for dinner tonight. My son said "This tastes like Olive Garden", well not quite because I didn't have white wine in it, but it did taste good!
4 comments:
I can't believe how amazing you are.... well, actually, I can. You rock! What an awesome thing to spend time doing!
i get a bunch every few days. when i have too many to eat fresh, i wash them, put them in a cake pan, drizzle olive oil on them, then sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper before roasting them for about 15 minutes. they taste divine, and go perfectly on bread for brochette, or pasta, etc. they freeze like champs this way, and you can use them all year.
or slice and make your own sundried tomatoes (google for recipes. so easy). taste of summer baby...doesn't get better than that.
a neighbor just gave me a grocery sack full of cherry tomatoes after church today cause her family hates them and they can't possibly eat them all. i told her about this recipe, but she just didn't want to bother. so now i'm going to make a mONSter batch of them. and i'll be enjoying summer this january. hope you like them too! ♥
ps: thanks for the props on my post. you want to know something weird/sad? I usually have about 40-60 hits on my blog a day, but that post struck a chord with a number of people apparently, and they told people and like the shampoo commercial, pretty soon i was inundated with visitors. almost 900 hits in ONE DAY...the day of that post. it was insane! and such a sad thing that THAT topic would resonate with so many!
now i'm back to my typical number of visits. of course i haven't posted anything since then.
hope you and baby sunshine are having a feel-good day!♥
I'm trying to imagine my reaction if me from the future had sent me this post. It would arrive at my house, probably while we were eating pineapple sherbet, drooling over Robert Downey, Jr. and planning our next conquests. I think we would have laughed and laughed. I can't believe what an amazing, awesome, powerful woman you have become. I'm still that horny little 15 year old, eating pineapple sherbet, drooling over Robert Downey, Jr.--and you're growing your own food!! I can't even keep a houseplant alive!! And here you are growing children and vegetables--at the same time!!! You're the bomb.
Oh, stop Eve and Heather, let me just remind you that 4 years ago all I wanted to do was sit on my kester, arse, buttocks, and do nothing... i.e. rotten produce, horrible, weed infested garden, and not much to show for it. This year I just really have enjoyed it. It has been so weird. Maybe I love it because I have storage room full of food that I can sit back and admire... I did that! It's a good feeling. Eve, I still drool over Robert Downey Jr. swoon... especially in Iron Man.
Blue, you've got to be kidding me!!! 900? Holy cow! It was very well written and so worth sharing. There are so many that struggle with their self worth issues and to find someone that has been through it and overcome it is a dime a dozen. You deserve every single one of those visits! That recipe sounds delicious and I might just try it out (actually I will). I also thought about Lisa, she gives her left over produce to the food bank. I don't want it to go to waste this year, so I might be doing that too.
Post a Comment