I just got done watching Revolutionary Road. I often like to write something right after I have seen a movie. It helps it to stay fresh.
First off, it is rated R. Sue me!
Second, I think I liked it, and I even related with the movie... odd.
I am not even sure I want to take the time to tell you what the movie is about. Here's a little: It's about a couple, and how this couple, these people find themselves in a place they never expected. Doing things they never really wanted, while their dreams are lived by someone else.
It is odd how I liked this movie (spoiler here). Kate Winslet finds herself pregnant for the 3rd time with no desire to keep the baby. She wants more out of the Stay at Home life. She wants to feel alive again. She wants her husband to be happy, and she wants to move out of suburbia hell. We think, for a moment that it will, but she gets pregnant doesn't want they baby, even though her husband does, and aborts it on her own causing complications and later death.
I don't agree with abortions, not in the least, but somehow my understanding was open. I have found myself often times wondering when the laundry will end, when poopy diapers will end, when the constant bombardment of 'mommy, mommy, mommy, um, why are there flies?' will end. I have struggled with being the mom, housekeeper, maid, butler, chef, chauffeur, and accountant. I have seen my dreams of traveling pass me by. And yet.... my Paris is in my daughters eyes when she looks up at me. My boat ride on the Italian rivers gives me a hug at night, and says ever so sweetly 'I want to sleep in your bed tonight'... and my New York nights are the fishy kisses I get from my son. It's not a glamours life. It isn't full of diamonds and pearls and fancy dresses, and parties.... and this is where I understood on a mommy level, on a
'my dreams are gone level' why this woman wanted to abort her baby.
There is more to this movie than just that. It is to... there is just more depth to it, but my understanding was open and I was able to reach my compassion... and I realized I don't think the world is black and white, and mostly, I am so glad that I am not in charge, and that there is a loving understanding God that wants to best for each of us, Mormon or not.
5 comments:
We were talking about abortion in English class the other night. The murder of the abortion doctor had everyone talking. At first everyone was attacking the man for wanting to make money off of death, then I described his life of death threats and bullet proof jackets. When asked why he did it, he said that he respected the right for families to make the choice within the confines of their own homes. I don't agree with the choice, but there are dire circumstances that would call for something dire. Or even if the circumstances aren't dire--there are people who really feel like their making the right choice, and when you feel that strongly, you will put yourself in horribly dangerous hands. Without a willing, qualified physician--people will continue to choose, at any cost.
I choose life. I hate abortion. But I hate the idea of government making that choice for me. I stand behind my choice to choose life. But I fight for choice. And I think there are far more people who choose life, but are comforted that if they are raped, if their life is threatened, if they know their child will starve or go uncared for--they can make the choice privately within their own home without having to petition to a government bureacracy.
You know Eve, I totally agree with you. It is something that should be available--safely available, and I don't think the government should be involved. I am for life, and the decision is not mine to make for someone else. Thanks for your comment. It was a good movie!
I've never even heard of this movie, but now I'm interested in seeing it. I loved reading your thoughts about it.
Oh, BTW, if that was a "real" Scattergories game, you would've scored two points with the Revolutionary Road!!!
I just have to say that it's never too late to travel! It's harder to travel with kids but it can be done; or there's always those happy golden years once they've flown the nest. If you want to travel with kids might I recommend Singapore, where they just LOVE kids (even the harsh-looking security guards would make googly eyes at her to make her laugh) and have so many free kid-friendly attractions. It's paradise!
Thanks quimby. I know I mentioned where a lot of my traveling has gone, but in my heart I still hold out for a really nice adventure. My husband isn't near as adventurous as I am, so it's sometimes a bit of a struggle. Singapore sounds awesome, thanks for the suggestion!
Post a Comment